Monday, April 5, 2010

The Cake Season Begins


Wedding season has begun again and that means one thing....cake tastings. While many bakers dread this act, I actually enjoy it. After all, bringing cake to others is like engineering a rainbow with fluffy puppies and jelly beans falling out of it. That's right....cake brings happiness. The tasting process finally gets the ball rolling and allows the happy couple to mix and match until they find just the right flavors. This tasting was for my friend Danielle who I have known since the 3rd grade. (Oh, Facebook. I'm so glad that it reconnects me with those that knew me during my "baggy t-shirt tucked into my tapered mom pants while my hair was pulled back giving me brain damage" phase. After all, many of us rocked that FANTASTIC fashion sense together). Anyways, I met with Danielle, her mom and her fiance to eat cake and bounce around some ideas. The tasting consisted of lemon, cinnamon swirl and vanilla cake with fondant and either vanilla buttercream or cream cheese icing. After a tiny bit of healthy debate, they decided on chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling, lemon cake with raspberry mousse and vanilla cake with lemon custard. (Sounds like tasty combinations to me). Let me just say that they were one of the most agreeable and sweetest couples I have worked with. No screaming, tantrums or flying cupcakes to be seen! (yes, a bride actually flung a bite of cake at her unenthusiastic significant other during a tasting of mine...not awkward at all right?). Overall, it couldn't have gone better...it was nice catching up with an old friend and creating a design for her special day. They agreed on a 4-tier cake with ivory fondant, moss green ribbon and intricate piping details around all the layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment